Friday, October 5, 2012

Here's to the seasons

With a new season, comes change.  We are making a few changes, hopefully for the better.  Our house should be sold by mid month.  While it was a great house, because we had to move, we could not afford to pay the mortgage in addition to rent on our new place.  We've had to keep the utilities on to keep the house in show condition.  It will be nice not to have to pay those bills.

When we received orders to come to this place, instead of getting stressed about finding a job and child care, I decided to stay home.  It turned out the cost of child care at our last unit basically negated my pay check.  And child care in this area is supposed to be one of the highest in the region.

I was actually excited to get to stay home with the kids.  I found a preschool for DD and researched doctors and fitness places.  Figuring the Y was probably the least expensive route for fitness, I was dismayed to learn how much more it would cost.  In addition to the higher price, child care was an added fee and the closest facility was a bit far.  I put the desire to get fit on hold and enjoyed the summer.  Besides we had a swimming pool.  We also have a fitness room, but I would have to wait until DH gets home from work to keep an eye on the kids and I need the pool because of arthritis.

I got a flier in the mail this past weekend for a gym with month to month memberships starting at $20.  I decided to look them up after noticing one of the photos on the flyer had what looked like a child area.  Most places that offer cheaper rates don't have child care, classes, or pools.  The website had a wealth of information.  The center has land and pool classes and child care.  To get the membership with the child care is $20 more, but that includes other things like free tanning (not for me) free towel service, and few other things.  But for $40 a month, that's a savings of $60 if I were to go to the Y.  The child area was in a safe area.  The pools are kept between 80 and 90 degrees. There is a whirlpool too.  I think I may check out what this Zumba thing is finally.  The center also offers open family swim time on the weekends.  DD is excited to go swimming.

I really needed this.  I've been feeling a bit depressed.  Now I can have a way to channel stress and get fit.

No comments: