Sunday, July 29, 2012

Dragons, Denim, and Tacos

Finally a break from the sweltering heat.  Who'd have thought 80 would be nice, LOL







On Saturday, we went to the Bristol Renaissance Faire in Kenosha.  On the website, it says you can save $2 if you purchase your tickets from Wal-Green's.  The kids were free, so we saved $4.  I also checked the website about parking, they have two parking lots.  The one that is closer to the gates cost $5 and the other one is free.  Both are on the grass.  We opted to be closer, so we paid the $5.  We still had a bit of a hike, but I guess it was better than in the free parking lot.

As we were walking through the gates, I noticed a little child dressed as Spiderman.  I was thinking, that yes, people do dress up, but not as Spiderman.  But then I was looking at the map and I guess this weekend was the costume contest.  There were quite a lot of people dressed up.  And not everyone was dressed for the time period.  I saw a cute couple dressed as Shrek and Fiona!  We did come across a grown up Spiderman as well.  There was a family with a little boy who loves Spiderman.  This spiderman let the little boy hug him and he posed with the boy for some photos.  What a nice gesture of a stranger.




The first thing we did was walk around.  This place is HUGE!  DD wanted to go on a carnival ride, so we went on a carousel ride.  It was $3 a rider.  The ride was human powered!  There were 4 guys who spun the carousel and then talked about their fantasy stuff.  I got a little dizzy.  We also went on a swing that was a pirate ship, which was also human powered.  This ride cost $3 a person or $5 for two people.  While DD and I were on the ride, we could see the elephant ride.  There was also a camel and a large white horse.  I was thinking maybe DD would like to ride the horse until I noticed something about that horse and started laughing so hard.  DH noticed the horse too.  For personal reasons, I've decided my children will not ride on other animals such as camels and elephants.  DH went with DD on a pirate ship for her to explore.  It cost $5 a person.  But with the pirate ship, you could stay as long as you like and come back later.  DH practically had to drag DD away.




We did get to see a show.  Adam Crack and his fire whip.  He was quite entertaining.  He holds 9 world records!  Pretty impressive.   We made note of the joust, but did not get to make it.




The last thing we did was get DD's face painted.  It was the first time she got her face painted.  She opted for a girl elephant.  Before bed, she had a bath and I thought it would be hard to clean her face.  Boy, am I glad I was wrong.  We just took a wipe to her face and the makeup came right off her face.

After the faire, we went to the outlets.  I knew they had a Stride Rite and I wanted to get DD some new shoes for school.  She has narrow feet and most of the shoes in Target or other shoes stores are for wider feet.  The store clerk, measured her feet and she grew!  We got her a pair of sneakers and a pair of boots.  I wanted to get her a pair of dress shoes, but they did not have the pair that DD liked in her size.



We also checked out the Osh Kosh store.  I wanted to get the kids a pair of overalls.  Kids look cute in them.  While we were there, they were having a sale on t-shirts.  Buy 1 get 2 free! So, the kids got 3 shirts each.  When checking out, I noticed some bears for sale.  DD was being so good, so I decided to get her and DS a bear.  Because my order was over $100, I got a $10 coupon which I used on the bears.  I got them for free!

We decided to check out a Mexican place on our way home.  The ombudsman for DH's command had mentioned a place called Jose's Blue Sombrero in Brookfield, Wisconsin.  The other day when I was coming home from the mall in Racine, I noticed a Jose's.  So, we stopped there for a late lunch early dinner.  I had Superman tacos.  They were steak and avacado. Very good!  DH got tacos with chicken, chorizo and bacon; very delicious!  We were very happy to finally have good Mexican food.  We may choose Jose's whenever we are out and about in either Brookfield or Racine.

No comments: